October cycle tour map

October cycle tour map

Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 9 on Pitcairn (Thursday 29 August)

Thought I would do this post at the end of the day since it was a quiet and leisurely day and not when I normally do it which is early next morning!
Today the Claymore returns to Pitcairn on passenger run #1 (the next one arrives next Thursday) and will leave on Sunday to Mangareva.  The ship arrived early this morning and by the time we got down to the Landing at 8.45am the longboats had already launched, picked up the passengers and Bob the chief engineer (the only one of the crew that is allowed on the island as that is in his contract ... Nigel the Claymore owner won't let the crew ashore as in the past one crew member go drunk etc ... but unfortunately he is apparently still punishing the crew for it ... which doesn't make sense really as they are wonderful!), came back to the Landing, unloaded the passengers and had just begun to put the longboat away so we missed that so on Sunday or next Thursday we will make sure we get there in time to see the boats launched.
 After everyone had left Neil and I walked back home, yesterday while in the square Sharon dobbed me in to Jacqui Christian, who is the editor of the Pitcairn Miscellany which is the monthly newsletter for the island and also it has a subscription following overseas via paper and email, to write an article about our voyage so far ... just our impressions etc.  Sharon used the excuse that she doesn't have time but apparentlty I do!  So I said okay and how much and Jacqui just said a page or half a page so then Sharon decides that she does have time and will write it so I say why don't we both write a piece since we both have different impressions of Pitcairn ... Sharons' being spiritual and mine being some what more practical!  So I spent an hour writing up a piece ... not sure if that is what Jacqui wants but I wrote it a bit like my blog ... humour since chatting to Dave Brown yesterday who said that the newsletter was "add some sort of expletive here and then something that you excrete!"  and that it was boring etc.
So this afternoon we took Bradley swimming with us at The Landing ... they still had the Pitcairn Island flag flying (it was done for this mornings arrival of visitors)
 Neil had his wetsuit and I borrowed Lea Anns ...
 I don't think we really needed it but it did keep us warm while in the water and it was very bouyant too!  Here is Bradley and Neil faffing around trying to get in the water but finding it a tad cold!
 Neil enjoying himself ...
 Bradley going out to check out the waves, but deciding that it is not worth it since Kimiora turned up ...
 So Kim runs in and gets the mask and snorkels and a spear gun and decides to catch fish ...
 here is a beached whale just floating in the water ...
 funny I  should mention a beached whale, we haven't seen any frolicking in the sea since we last saw them on Thursday.  But we did see about 1.5-2m in front of us a large turtle head bob up so Neil took off to the side to grab the mask and I took off out of the water to get the camera to see if I could see it in the water when looking down from the Jetty.  Unfortunately it was a cloudy day so you could quite see the bottom of the sea.  Still great knowing that the turtle was swimming with us even if we didn't know it!
Kimiora speared 3 fish call 'moi'
 Yesterday I informed the Kids that as a rule back home in Melbourne I don't eat meat and told them because I don't like the killing of animals.  So they said what about fish and I still said no I won't kill one unless I needed to survive and had to kill one but being here everyone else does the killing so I don't need to catch and kill a fish.  The 2 boys think it funny and made every effort to snap the damn head of the fish in front of me!
Back at Brendas' her son Andrew (my cousin) is busily making a bowl and lid for Uschi.  He is very talented and takes a 'stick' as they call it and us a bandsaw to cut the stick into blocks ...
 blocks of wood (miro I think)
 and then using some machine and hand tool shapes the top and bottom ...

 I notice that he isn't wearing safety glasses so I go and search for them in Brendas filing system ... check this out ... nothing is thrown away on this island there is always an alternate use for everything ... this is what her broken down fridges have become ...
what every fridge should have - tools and bits in it!
Not sure what we are doing tomorrow (Friday) maybe we might try the highest point.

No comments:

Post a Comment