October cycle tour map

October cycle tour map

Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Day 5 of Sailing (Monday again)

It is now day 5 of sailing … all of us got through yesterday quite well and managed to fill in the day.  The crew have said they are surprised just how long the rolling and pitching of the seas has lasted, although we know no better as we think this is normal but apparently not.  Poor Jane in the galley every now and then you hear crash bang and you know the meal is on the floor.  Only this morning at brekky my coffee ended up from one table to the next … I think I will have a bruise on my hip due to a rogue wave which flung me from one side of the room to the other … this happens a lot and we are finding that that is our exercise walking bow legged and then getting slammed up against walls regaining our footing and then it is like walking against gravity struggling along and then all of a sudden there is a change and you are walking very fast trying to slow your steps down as the ship is now rolling in the direction you are going … hell it is hard!

I did manage to successfully shave my legs last night, with great difficulty mind you! Last night was my first night since being on the ship (8 nights including before sailing) where I got a full nights sleep, I did forget to change my clock this morning and move it an hour forward.  This is the second change in time the first was while we were all sick and it changed back 24 hours (so it is Monday on the boat, Tuesday in NZ) and last night at midnight was the 2nd where we put our clocks forward 1 hour we have another change sometime during the week!

Mum and Sharon were discussing yesterday that they may take the flight home from Mangareva when returning if there are seats available, I think Neil and I will just come on the boat, perservere with the 48 hours and be done with it!

Okay it is now in the afternoon and we have just finished watching a movie ‘the taking of phelam 123’ – great movie!  Not much doing today – went back up the bridge and watched Hamish and Maurice checking the cargo making sure everything is secured.  Unfortunately they hadn’t cleaned the port windows and so doing a movie was out of the question.  Interesting watching them walking around without life jackets just casual as bro!  Unbelievable really but I did hear them last night discussing when it is calm to throw the slop bucket overboard somebody does ‘spot’ someone else!  The crew are very good to us and don’t mind us going up on the bridge … we must get down to the engine room soon.

I think I have said this before but there is really nothing you can do on the ship when there is so much rolling …. Even exercising is out of the question … we had Eric taking the piss out of Sharon, Neil and I saying that now we are up and about that we should be exercising which is neigh on impossible as you can barely walk around let alone skip!  Here is a photo of some of us just relaxing …

No comments:

Post a Comment